CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Mom Reminisces




As you can see I have been blessed with a great family. I enjoy listening to what they have to say and hearing all of their stories. I have a great aunt that when the families’ house was on fire ran back inside and grabbed the coal bucket. Then, thought well this is silly and ran back into the burning building and put it back where it belongs.


When we are all collectively bored, we will ask mom to tell us stories about the family when she was young. She drums up stories about threshing day, when other farmers would come and help her dad harvest the crops. Her mom would make huge dinners, mounds of mashed potatoes, fried chicken, cooked down green beans, hot rolls and tons of pies. Everyone would eat in the dining room, but they hung a mirror outside on a tree and set up a wash basin underneath so the men could get cleaned up for dinner.


She tells of going blackberry picking with her mom when she was really little. Her mom would tie her sleeves down to her gloves with string and then make her stand there and keep watch for snakes. According to mom my grandma made the best blackberry cobbler in three counties! Her dad had her help milk the cows one time. They went to the barn, he was showing her how, and the cow’s tail swished across her face. “Ewwwe! I don’t like this I want my momma!” He sent her back to the house to be with her mom and all her siblings said that it didn’t matter what the cow did to them they still had to help milk the cows.


Grandpa and his horses



Mom and her Grandma

4 comments:

Melli said...

You're mom sure was a cutie! You should be writing down ALLLLL of her stories - for future generations! I wish I had done it... I always thought I'd remember them all... needless to say, THAT didn't happen!

Denise said...

I love these pictures, grams was so cute. I would love to hear all of her stories.

Baba said...

I keep telling my mom that we need to tape record her stories, I will never remember all of them....Good home cooking and great pies... You and your mom are cute as a button.....
Thanks for sharing.
Baba

Glo said...

Love this week of "Remember when" hasn't it been great. You've done an excellent job on your blog. Tell Grams she was a cutie pie. Like I tell my kids get these stories in your head or on paper or better yet record....cause you will miss us when we're gone....My 2nd cousin has the right idea he is doing interviews with family members and recording them.....for his children. Great Idea.
Can't wait to see what you have on tomorrow.....