CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Aunt Margaret

Today is the first day of fall. Soon the weather will start cooling off and the holidays will be here before we know it. For some reason this got me to thinking about my mom's sister, Aunt Margaret. She was a very cool aunt. She would send me expensive cards that had puzzles and games. I remember one thanksgiving card that she sent, where there was a punch-out section that had you build the Mayflower. There where also pop-up Halloween cards with ghosts and black cats jumping out to say, Boo" and big felt Santa Clauses, some of which we still put out during Christmas. My Birthday is six days before Christmas and she would send me big fun birthday cards, too. She signed every card with a green felt tipped pen with her precise script.
Aunt Margaret served in World War II. She was in the WAVES and was stationed in Florida. There is a funny story about her. She was leading the ladies in a drill, marched them right around the corner, and straight into a wall. When she got out of the WAVES, she decided she wanted her pilots license. So she learned to fly a plane. Then she moved to California and bought a motor scooter. She drove this to and from work every day. She always wore bright red lipstick. She was visiting my great uncle who served on the local volunteer fire department. While she was there a call came in signalling a fire. As my uncle was rushing out the door, Aunt Margaret said, "wait, I want to go with you, but I have to put on my lipstick!" Aunt Margaret passed awayed the first week of September 1998 four days after her brother. She was 74 years old.


Mom and her sister, Margaret

6 comments:

Talk..to..Grams said...

This is so neat that you did this post on Margaret. She thought you were a cutie! Well, so do I!
Ok, enough sugar stuff!!

She sent me cards too, when I was lttle and I still have some of them. They are in a box on a shelf in my room I think!!

I still have the one paper doll dress she got me over 60 some years ago!

and some of the books she got me in the early 50's . Nancy Drew!

Love,Mom

Denise said...

Your aunt Margaret sounds like she was a wonderful lady, thanks for sharing her with us.

Glo said...

Your Aunt Margaret sound like she be fun to be around. Aren't we glad we have these memories to share. All the cards she sent you,I got some cards like that when I was younger....I love cards. Great story,thanks for sharing your special memories.

Melanie said...

What a beautiful post- she sounds like she was a lovely lady. I'm sure she would love this wonderful tribute of your memories about her.

Baba said...

Hi Kelly, Your story of uncle ray and aunt Margaret was a delight to read.Thanks for sharing...Why is it that sometimes we love and appreciate people more after they are gone??? I am a fan of you and your mom. Baba

Linda said...

Such a lovely post about your aunt and uncle. Thanks for sharing.